profile as an extra table - not using profile in web.config

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Hi, First of all thank you so much for your work. I was wondering if its possible to use profile in database table - like user or customer -  instead of defining it in web.config. many people talk about performance issues with that default approach and I was wondering if its easy - or part of the project - to extend profile information of users in another table.. brgds and thanks for your time.

Coordinator
Nov 27, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Hi @sebaherrera,

Profile is actually stored in the database as a table. There are actually two tables in the database responsible for profile - Profiles for the profiles and ProfileItems for the data items you would like to store for the particular profile (profile information more like a key value pair). I have written the library to support the web.config default configuration however, you could actaully instantiate the API profile provider and then have access to the profile typed objects (profile and profileitems). If you look at PortalProfileProviderTest.cs in the (http://aspsecurity.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/fa957e086d5c) there are a number of tests where I actually use these objects for example SetPropertyValuesTwice. If you need more help feel free to let me know.

cheers,

ekhor